Seventy billion land animals are bred and killed for human food consumption every year.
Most people would be shocked to learn of the cruelty that animals raised for food endure in their short lifespan. Many animal protection groups, have documented the conditions animals face in farms, in transport, and in slaughterhouses.
There are several excellent documentaries which educate, inform and help us to see the animals used, abused, and hidden from our view and our consciousness, including:
You can learn more about farmed animals, their unique personalities, and the horrific “standard practices” and documented abuses that they are subjected to on an daily basis by visiting the links below:
- Egg-Truth.com educates the public about the true nature of egg production from hatchery to plate.
The consumption of animal products (meat, dairy and eggs) has been linked to heart disease, some forms of cancer, and type II diabetes. The feature film Forks Over Knives “examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.”
The following sites provide information on the benefits of a plant-based diet, and resources to help you transition to a healthier lifestyle.
- Challenge22.com (Challenge 22 offers participants a free, supportive online framework for trying veganism for 22 days)
- Physicians for Responsible Medicine (Health & Nutrition information, recipes, and the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart program)
- NutritionFacts.org (Science-based articles and videos by Michael Greger M.D., author of the book “How Not To Die“)
- Toronto Vegetarian Association (“Toronto’s go to resource for all things veg.” including the Vegetarian Directory, Veg Food Fest and the 7-Day Veggie Challenge
- ChooseVeg.ca (MFA site with recipes, meal plans, and tips to help you switch and ditch)
- One Green Planet (Meal plans and mouth-watering vegan recipes for every meal and occasion)
- VeganCookingLessons.org (Vegan cooking lessons and recipes)
What the Health is a 2017 documentary film which critiques the health impact of meat and dairy products consumption, and questions the practices of the leading health and pharmaceutical organizations.
Eating You Alive is a documentary that takes a scientific look at the reasons we’re so sick, who’s responsible for feeding us the wrong information and how we can use whole-food, plant-based nutrition to take control of our health—one bite at a time.
There is growing awareness of the widespread environmental devastation caused by animal agriculture.
“Animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, water consumption and pollution, is responsible for more greenhouse gases than the transportation industry, and is a primary driver of rainforest destruction, species extinction, habitat loss, topsoil erosion, ocean “dead zones,” and virtually every other environmental ill. Yet it goes on, almost entirely unchallenged.” Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret