- This event has passed.
Animal Justice Workshop: Political Advocacy for Animals
September 12, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:30 pmFree (but donations appreciated!)
This workshop will offer citizens the training, tools, and strategies they need to influence politicians to pass stronger laws protecting animals in Canada. Presenters will include Animal Justice lawyers and staff, and other experts in political advocacy for animals.
Participants will learn about:
- The role of different levels of government, and what animal laws can be passed at the federal, provincial, and municipal levels
- The legislative process, and how a bill becomes law
- How citizens can help influence legislators to support animal-friendly laws, and reject laws that will harm animals
- How to help elect more animal-friendly politicians from all political parties
- Why the federal election on October 21, 2019 is an incredible opportunity to raise the profile of animal issues
- How individuals can develop a relationship with legislators between elections, and secure their support for animal protection bills
Canada’s animal protection laws fall far behind our societal values. Most people support protecting animals from abuse and killing, yet deep-pocketed industries that harm animals have historically been able to convince politicians to block any improvements to our laws.
But the tide is turning. This year, Canada’s Parliament finally passed serious new animal laws for the first time since the 1800s. Advocacy and lobbying efforts by individual animal advocates was a key factor in these victories. It’s time to keep the momentum going, and push for even more meaningful improvements at all levels of government.
Sign up today to become part of an unstoppable movement ushering in a new era of stronger laws for animals!
This event is free to attend, although donations are appreciated. Space is limited. Vegan pizza and snacks will be provided.